Friday, January 21, 2011

Day One: Gone 2 Ghana

[Currently Listening To: Dancing Generation - Matt Redman]

I procrastinated packing for Ghana. It was such a final act, and I wanted to make sure I spent time w/ as many people and family before I left because I knew I'd miss them. Thanks to all who helped me leave feeling loved!
It was a long trip to get to Ghana. From Knoxville to Chicago to Washington D.C. across the Atlantic and over 5,000 miles later, I'm in Legon at the University of Ghana. The trip on the plane was definitely bumpy; however, I sat next to an old Ghanaian woman and had some nice conversation with her. There was a moment in the middle of the night that I kind of panicked wondering what I had gotten myself into, but God gave me peace to get over it and sleep.


The first step off the plane was only the beginning of a hot, sweaty day. To say that it is hot in Ghana is an understatement; it is a very different kind of hot. Sometimes you may be dripping in sweat, but for the most part you are just constantly covered in a sticky film of it. That film is also an excellent dirt attractant, so walking down the red dirt roads on campus your feet, legs, clothes - everything - picks up a nice coating of red dirt.
From the airport, all the ISEP students rode to the International Student Hostel (ISH) where we will be staying for the semester here. It was so much nicer than I had envisioned, and I feel super blessed to stay here! At first some of us were put in out temporary rooms while some got to move into their permanent rooms. Since I was in a room by myself, I moved into a room with a girl named Casey who was also by herself. This is actually my first time in a dorm AND sharing a room, so this is going to be interesting!
Thank you God for bringing me here safely and providing a nice room with a fan!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home