Friday, February 11, 2011

Classes (Unofficially) Begin

[CLT: "Show's Over" - Trip Lee ft. Mitch Parks]

Technically, last week was the "official" first week of classes. Unofficially, classes started this week. Only one of my professors showed up to class last week. I'm taking one science class called Epidemiology of Parasitic Diseases; it's basically a long name to say we're studying diseases caused by parasites and trying to find ways to prevent them. It's super interesting, and I'm so excited to be studying it here with some crazy diseases that are endemic here. That may sound weird to be excited by diseases, but it really does seem interesting.
My other classes are Religion classes, and they all got moved around last week. I'm so glad that God worked it out that way, because I have a really favorable schedule with classes that will teach me a lot about the Church. Plus, there's only one day I have class before 3:30, so I have some great opportunities to volunteer at multiple places!
The only other classes are a Twi language class and an African drumming class. So exciting! Twi is one of over 40 languages native to Ghana, and it will be so exciting to be able to talk to people in many of their native tongues! And the drumming class is great as well; hopefully I'll come back with some rhythm! Other than classes, I have been able to hang out with Frances, the daughter of someone my dad knows through a friend. She's in her 3rd year as well, and she introduced me to her friends. They were so funny and kind, and we went to karaoke night on Friday! My roommate Winnifred is also Ghanaian, and she is super nice. I haven't gotten to see her much because we keep different schedules, but hopefully we'll get to know each other a lot better. And I know when classes get on a normal schedule, God will put great friends in them as well. Can't wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home