Friday, March 04, 2011

Tro-tro rides and Adventures

[CLT: “Taste and See” – Jason Allen Rich]
I wrote a little about travelling and tro-tros earlier, but I’ve had some interesting experiences since then. Yesterday returning to campus from volunteering, we got caught in the nasty afternoon traffic. Making the most of this idle time, I pulled out my shish-kebab skewers and UT orange yarn and continued knitting my dish-rag/pot-holder. The girl next to me on the tro-tro started watching me, so I handed her the “needles” and showed her how to knit. For the rest of the ride, she knitted my dish-rag. She caught on super quick, and even the “mate” on the tro kept looking back to see what we were doing. It was just a good day on the tro-tro.
Today, my friend Kait and I journeyed to the village my Compassion sponsor child lives in, just to get an idea of transportation options and travel time. In the taxi on the way back, Kait looks out the window and says, “No way, is that a cow?” I look out the window and see no cow or anything resembling a cow, just a goat. I thought Kait was seriously confused until I saw the truck that was driving in front of us. It was severely leaning to one side and one horn was seen sticking up from the truck bed. These people had strapped a massive, MASSIVE, cow into the bed of this tiny truck to haul it some distance. I guess you do what you gotta do, but it was incredibly funny to see.
After that, we caught a crowded tro-tro back towards campus. Going over several bumps, we heard this weird sound like a child crying/yelling out. There was one boy in the back, but he wasn’t making the noise, and we couldn’t see anyone else reacting to it. I leaned forward and asked Kait if there was a goat on the tro. We started laughing at the idea. Finally we asked one of the men if there was a goat onboard. The guy just smiled and nodded and said, “Yes it’s under your feet.” The woman next to me smiled and stood up and pointed under where I was sitting. When we moved to let someone off and started to take our seats again, sure enough there was an adult goat sitting under our seat just chewing something like it was the most normal place in the world for him to be. Kait and I couldn’t stop laughing, and we’re just glad the goat didn’t decide to take a nibble out of our shoes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home